Biometric safes are top-of-the-line for home security. Your guns and other valuables can be stored with ease, plus the biometric keypad makes it easy for quick access.
But which biometric gun safes are the best?
Table Of Contents
- The Best Biometric Safes
- What Are Biometric Gun Safes?
- Benefits Of Owning A Biometric Safe
- What To Look For In Your Biometric Gun Safe
- 2020 Biometric Gun Safe Reviews
- Frequently Asked Questions
The Best Biometric Safes
- SentrySafe QAP2BLX Quick Access Pistol Safe (New Version)
- BARSKA Biometric Safe
- GunVault SpeedVault Biometric Pistol Safe SVB500
- Verifi Smart.Safe. Biometric Gun Safe
- Viking Security Safe VS-50BLX Large Biometric Fingerprint Safe
- GunVault MicroVault XL MVB1000
- Vaultek VT20i Biometric Handgun Safe
The trick is to not get any safe with a fingerprint scanner off of Amazon and call it good. You need to be sure of your selection. That’s where we come in.
In this article, we have the best biometric gun safe reviews. As well, we’ll go over what a biometric safe entails, the benefits of owning one, characteristics to consider when purchasing your safe, and frequently asked questions.
Let’s get into it.
What Are Biometric Gun Safes?
The best gun safes ensure safety and security over everything else.
A biometric safe allows you to program your biometric data into the gun safe; in short, there’s a fingerprint scanner or fingerprint reader that takes in your personal fingerprint and uses that to open the safe.
It’s the ideal blend of cutting-edge technology and maximum security. And the best part? It doesn’t cost an exorbitant amount to have such a gun safe.
Gun owners who are serious about keeping their family members safe at home and want fast access to their firearms would do well to take a deep look at biometric safes.
Benefits Of Owning A Biometric Safe
A high-quality biometric gun safe gives you a ton of advantages:
- Solid Steel Construction Makes It Pry-Proof: Most biometric safes are made of heavy-duty 18-gauge steel or higher. Add to that a pry-resistant door, and nobody can ever tamper with your valuables.
- Fingerprint Sensor for Unparalleled Security: As we said in the previous section, a biometric scanner allows for you to use your fingerprint — and yours only — to enter the gun safe. Different fingerprints will be turned away.
- Top-of-the-Line Locking Mechanism: Armed with deadbolts, gas struts (hinges so that the safe opens on its own when accessed), and working off battery power, the biometric locking system is airtight. Plus, most gun safes are approved by the California Department of Justice (DOJ) or FBI guidelines, meaning they have the utmost confidence in the safety of the product.
- Backup Keys for 24/7 Access: Gun safety is the key here, and sometimes you need a key if the biometric fingerprint scanner malfunctions. Luckily, most biometric safes come with an override key, so you can always get to your handgun and ammo.
- Additional Safe Features to Keep Burglars Away: Unauthorized access will never be allowed. These safes usually come with either pre-drilled holes or mounting hardware to keep your safe securely in place. No one can go off walking with your biometric safe — and that’s how it should be.
What To Look For In Your Biometric Gun Safe
You’ll for sure want some specific features included with your biometric safe:
- Interior Light: Having your safe backlit is vital for those low-light situations. If you can, go with one that has LED lights so you have the best visibility when it’s dark all around.
- Know Your Batteries: Most biometric safes run on batteries, normally AA batteries, a lithium-ion battery, or rechargeable batteries with A/C adapters. Figure out which battery you want to deal with, whether you want to use 4 AA batteries every few months or so, and use this to find your perfect biometric safe.
- Backup Entry Options: You’ll want override keys in case the biometric portion goes haywire. To be even more cautious, we suggest one that also comes with a combination lock that uses a numerical password.
- Size: This depends on what type of guns you want to store. If it’s long guns, you’re looking at a bigger, more expensive gun safe. If you only want to place handguns or pistols by your bed or in your car, a mini vault will do just fine.
- Additional Features: You obviously want the best materials for your gun safe. As well, you probably want those interior lights and for that interior to be carpeted to prevent scratches. Also, some safes beep while others don’t. If you want discretion, opt for the no-beep models. Lastly, you’ll want your safe to come with pre-drilled holes and mounting hardware. (Make sure you have hand tools around for installation.)
Now that you have some characteristics in mind, let’s get into those safes! (Metaphorically, of course.)
2020 Biometric Gun Safe Reviews
SentrySafe QAP2BLX Quick Access Pistol Safe (New Version)
First up on our list is SentrySafe, which has multiple options for biometric safes. Our top choice is the New Version and not the QAP1BE because the QAP2BLX has the capacity to store two guns and has an interior light, all at a reasonable price.
This safe features a new fingerprint scanner on their biometric lock for advanced protection, as well as LED lights that are enabled for 10 seconds after opening the safe for enhanced visibility.
Plus, the biometric sensor can safely store up to ten different fingerprints, takes less than one second to open, and doesn’t require a third-party app to open. This means you can access your gun safe with speed while others who don’t have authorization cannot.
It also has an improved gas strut for long-lasting performance; it opens to 79 degrees for single-handed access to your handgun. Add to that a backup keypad and override keys, and you’ll never be locked out of your own gun safe.
Made out of 12-gauge steel construction, and additional space to store accessories, this biometric gun safe does everything you need it to do in a compact structure.
A mainstay in the gun safe business for years, you can’t go wrong with the SentrySafe Biometric QAP2BLX Quick Access Pistol Safe.
BARSKA Biometric Safe
BARSKA is another tried and true gun safe brand that gets the job done. Their flagship biometric safe has been popular for years now, and for very good reasons.
This DOJ-approved gun safe has a 120 fingerprint biometric module that’s a cinch to program. It also gives you the option for a silent mode, doing away with the annoying and unstealthy beep.
As for the gun safe itself, it’s made of solid steel construction, has tamper-resistant edges, and comes with two built-in pry-resistant steel motorized deadbolts.
On top of that, it comes with the holes pre-drilled and the mounting hardware needed to secure this safe in place.
With a carpeted interior to protect your pistols, you can store up to two handguns in this bad boy, along with other valuable items you want to protect.
The BARSKA Biometric Safe is just as solid as the SentrySafe. It has a little more room, hence the price bump. Between these two, it is merely a question of what size safe you require.
GunVault SpeedVault Biometric Pistol Safe SVB500
Our first GunVault on the list is their SpeedVault, and it’s called that for a reason. The SVB500 has a biometric scanner and hinges that open the safe in the blink of an eye, allowing you to become weaponized within two seconds.
The SpeedVault can hold up to 20 different fingerprints, and there are multiple mounting options due to its unique shape.
This biometric safe can fit anywhere you want: your car, your bedside table, a closet, a desk drawer… the possibilities are endless, and you can mount with ease.
It’s the most durable safe on this list so far, made of 18-gauge steel. As well, it has a foam-lined interior to prevent scratches and scrapes to your handguns.
Not only that, but it comes with backup keys, the mounting hardware, and the ability for this safe to be discreet.
This is a somewhat smaller safe than the previous two on this list. It only fits a singular gun, and quite snuggly too.
If you only want to have one gun option at your disposal, this is the gun safe to get. The SpeedVault saves you money and time, which is invaluable in dangerous situations at home or on the road.
Verifi Smart.Safe. Biometric Gun Safe
This is one of the few FBI-certified biometric safes out there for retail, making the Verifi Smart.Safe. an amazing product to own.
The fingerprint sensor on this gun safe is gigantic, and they claim it is in fact the ONLY scanner that is FBI-certified. It captures high-resolution fingerprint images to enhance recognition and enable quick access.
This thing is wicked smart too. It runs self-diagnostics on the electronics and batteries to make sure they’re ready for use for when you need to use them the most. And those batteries? You can get multiple years of operation on a single set of them, which are included.
The safe gives you tamper alerts that are time stamped and logged to keep you informed of unauthorized access attempts, as well as any time the backup keys are used or if there’s any attempt to reset the biometric scanner.
With an LED adjustable interior light, wall and floor mounting capabilities, solid steel construction, and the ability to store up to 40 individual fingerprints, the Verifi Smart.Safe. is top-of-the-line, no doubt about it. While the price may be on the high end, you get high-end value in return (and then some).
Viking Security Safe VS-50BLX Large Biometric Fingerprint Safe
By far the biggest safe in this buyer’s guide, the VS-50BLX from Viking Security Safe allows you to store your long guns while still having biometric abilities.
The keypad is the premium feature of this gun safe. It has a battery indicator to show charge level, a keypad where you can set a four- to eight-digit PIN code, and a 500 DPI Optical Sensor that unlocks the safe with your fingerprint within a fraction of a second.
To continue with the keypad, the LCD displays different functions, and it comes with false entry protection. Add to that 20mm motorized heavy steel deadbolts and two anti-pry insertion slots, and nobody will be getting into your safe but you.
It has a built-in LED light, three fully adjustable shelves, a fully carpeted interior, and the doorway is laser-cut — that means no gaps around the door, making it nearly pry-proof.
Plus, it has seamless welding that’s scratch-resistant, making this safe super durable and ready to protect your stuff.
The VS-50BLX also has a four-pronged backup key, can scan and save up to 32 fingerprints, and the option to have sound on or off, including a warning beep if the door is left unlocked.
As far as long gun safes go, you can’t find a better biometric version than this Viking Security Safe. To top it all off, it’s cheaper than the Verifi Smart.Safe. and you’re getting all of this additional space! (Seriously, it’s a no-brainer for long gun owners.)
GunVault MicroVault XL MVB1000
This Bluetooth smart safe is a fantastic option if you want the most compact biometric gun safe that still gives you all that you want. This mini vault gives you biometric fingerprint access while protecting your valuables in numerous ways.
The MVB1000 can hold up to 120 different fingerprints and comes standard with a four-foot security cable for additional safety. If you want to mount your gun safe instead, no problem; it can mount almost anywhere and in any direction.
Made of 18-gauge steel, this safe also has a foam-lined interior, a high-strength locking mechanism, and precise fittings that are virtually impossible to pry open with regular hand tools.
GunVault’s patented No-Eyes Keypad gives you the fingerprint scanner that lets you access your safe in a single second without having to look at the keypad.
This MicroVault also has convenient elastic straps with pockets for extra storage. You can store all of your important documents, additional ammo, and your handgun without compromising anything.
For a gun owner who doesn’t need a lot of space at all, we suggest going with the GunVault MicroVault XL MVB1000.
Vaultek VT20i Biometric Handgun Safe
Last up on our review list is the Vaultek VT20i. Like the MicroVault above, this gun safe is Bluetooth compatible, which means you can connect it to your phone for easy access.
This safe has an auto-open lid and a rechargeable battery, which means you can get a ton of use out of it and access your safe with blazing speed. It has anti-pry bars, two-point anti-impact latches, interior mounted hinges, and interior security brackets. Basically, it’s impenetrable.
It’s made out of heavy-duty 16-gauge carbon steel with a durable powder-coat finish to prevent corrosion. The rapid-fire backlit keypad and biometric fingerprint scanner give you plenty of access options.
The smartphone experience is what makes this safe a game-changer. You can toggle on and off with the available hotkeys, while still maintaining all other gun safe functions.
Plus, this safe has a rechargeable lithium-ion battery that gives you up to four months of use and needs 2.5 hours to completely charge with the micro-USB charging kit that’s included.
Add to that responsive LED lights for lowlight situations and a backlit keypad, and this biometric safe will always be there to keep your valuables protected while giving you unlimited access to your handguns.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Biometric Safes Reliable?
Yes, they are. Some are even made out of carbon steel, but 18-gauge steel construction does more than enough in terms of safety. They can be mounted, their locking bolts are top-notch, and they only respond to your fingerprint.
Battery life might be a factor, but as long as you remember to change them or recharge them frequently, then you can rest easy knowing your guns, valuable items, and important documents are locked away for good.
Are Biometrics Safer Than Passwords?
There is the question of whether or not biometrics can be hacked. Well, if you have a biometric safe that can be accessed from your smartphone, and your smartphone is compromised, then yes, burglars can get into your safe.
However, if you keep your valuables and phone safe from others who mean you harm, then you have nothing to worry about.
Biometric safes are extremely reliable, are made with the same materials as traditional long gun safes, and are tamper-proof, fireproof, and waterproof if you include a small dehumidifying agent.
What Is the Best Fingerprint Gun Safe?
Tough call. We’re torn between the Verifi Smart.Safe. Biometric Gun Safe and the Vaultek VT20i Biometric Handgun Safe. The former is FBI-certified, while the latter uses smartphone Bluetooth to give you unparalleled access to unique features.
Both selections are reasonably priced, with the Vaultek slightly less expensive. But we are big fans of both Verifi Smart.Safe. and Vaultek.
Getting the best biometric gun safe for you is important for your peace of mind and gun security. Select the one from our list that’s right for you and protect your guns and family from the unknown.