If you’re a professional bass angler, or even a beginner, you’re probably always on the lookout for the latest and greatest in spinning reels.
Since there are about as many types and models of spinning reels as there are bass in the waters, it can be difficult to choose the best one for your needs.
In this post, I’ll walk you through what spinning reels are, what to consider before buying one, as well as provide recommendations for different scenarios and situations.
First, let’s take a look at the top picks and then break things down further.
But first things first..
Table Of Contents
- What is a Spinning Reel?
- Considerations Before Buying
- Best Spinning Reel For Bass For The Money
- Top Spinning Reels For Bass Fishing Reviewed
What is a Spinning Reel?
A spinning reel is a device that you attach to a fishing rod to wind and stow as much of your fishing line as physically possible.
This, of course, enables you to cast the bait farther away from where you’re located and cover a larger fishing area without having to change your location or scaring the bass away.
Using a spinning reel, as you may well know or guess, makes bass fishing more of a hassle-free experience.
It allows you to simply retrieve the bait, or better still the bass, faster and without getting the line tangled, which is a major disadvantage in other fishing tools like bait casters, for example.
Therefore, if you’re developing an interest in this amazing sport, it’s important to invest in the best spinning reel. Below are a few points to consider before making your choice.
Considerations Before Buying
Before making your choice there are seven points of comparison to take into your consideration.
The material used in the construction of the spinning reel reflects on the weight of the reel, as well as on the quality, which in turn reflects on the durability of the spinning reel.
- Shimano Stradic Ci4 Spinning Reel: reinforced carbon fiber, anti-rust shielded body, and a Magnumlite rotor.
- Sougayilang Spinning Fishing Reel: corrosion-free stainless steel body.
- One Bass Fishing reels: carbon-fiber rotor and a magnesium frame.
- Abu Garcia Revo SX Spinning Reel: carbon with stainless steel main shaft and components.
The components and the mechanism of the reel reflect on the smoothness of the operating system.
- Shimano Stradic Ci4 Spinning Reel: HAGANE gear, G Free Body, CI4+, X-SHIP, Core Protect, and Magnumlite Rotor.
- Sougayilang Spinning Fishing Reel: precision brass gears, hardened metal main shaft, triple disc carbon drag washers, and interchangeable right or left CNC.
- One Bass Fishing reels: a super rigid C4LF carbon fiber rotor, extra-hard PT gears
- Abu Garcia Revo SX Spinning Reel: X-Craftic gearbox design with a C6 carbon body, the reel’s IM-C6 design
The drag power is basically the brakes system of the reel, or simply put, how much pressure a reel can handle. It’s the resistance the hooked fish feels when it pulls on the rod which prevents the rod from breaking during the tussle.
- Shimano Stradic Ci4 Spinning Reel ( STCI41000HGFB): up to 24 lbs.
- Sougayilang Spinning Fishing Reel: up to 26 lbs.
- One Bass Fishing reels: 30 lbs.
- Abu Garcia Revo SX Spinning Reel: 11 lbs.
The material the spool is made of affects the overall weight as well as the durability of the reel.
- Shimano Stradic Ci4 Spinning Reel: AR-C Spool.
- Sougayilang Spinning Fishing Reel: aluminum spool.
- One Bass Fishing reels: machined aluminum spool.
- Abu Garcia Revo SX Spinning Reel: machined aluminum braid ready.
5. Line Capacity
The line capacity of a reel is measured by two numbers, the weight or the measurements of the line and how much line you can wind on a spool.
- Shimano Stradic Ci4 Spinning Reel ( STCI41000HGFB) : (MM/M) 18/170
- Sougayilang Spinning Fishing Reel: (MM/M): 0.35/150, 0.4/120, 0.45/100.
- One Bass Fishing reels: (lbs/yds): 6/270 8/150 10/100
- Abu Garcia Revo SX Spinning Reel: ( lb-yds): 8/120
The body of the spinning reel is supported by a number of ball bearings to ensure smoothness and stability while fishing.
- Shimano Stradic Ci4 Spinning Reel ( STCI41000HGFB): six ball bearings +1
- Sougayilang Spinning Fishing Reel: 13 shielded ball bearings +1 instant stop one-way anti-reverse bearing.
- One Bass Fishing reels: 12 shielded ball bearings + 1 instant anti-reverse bearing.
- Abu Garcia Revo SX Spinning Reel: eight stainless steel HPCR™ bearings + 1 roller ball bearing.
The sensitivity of the fishing rod and the spinning reel is valued by three factors: the balancing system, the weight of the gear and the gear ratio (the number of rotations the reel makes per turn).
- Shimano Stradic Ci4 Spinning Reel: high crank power rating, weight: 5.6 oz, gear ratio: 6.0:1
- Sougayilang Fishing Reel Spinning: computerized balancing system, weight: approximately 8-10 oz, gear ratio: 5.5:1
- One Bass Fishing reels: computerized balancing system, weight: 9.2 oz, gear ratio: 5.2:1
- Abu Garcia Revo SX Spinning Reel: computer-optimized gear design, weight: 7.20-9.20 oz, gear ratio 6.2-1
Best Spinning Reel For Bass For The Money
Best Spinning Reel For Bass Under $50:
Sougayilang Spinning Fishing Reel
Best Spinning Reel For Bass Under $100:
Abu Garcia Revo SX Spinning Reel
Top Spinning Reels For Bass Fishing Reviewed
Shimano Stradic Ci4 Spinning Reel
The Shimano Stradic Ci4 Spinning Reel combines elegance, weightlessness, and smooth operation with solidness, durability, and support.
It has incorporated HAGANE gear, G Free Body, CI4+, X-SHIP, Core Protect, and the new Magnumlite Rotor which allows for a super light feel when you turn the handle.
It’s made entirely of carbon which gives this rod its strength as well as its light weight.
Sougayilang Spinning Fishing Reel
The Sougayilang Spinning Fishing Reel merges economic value with an excellent finish, and the high strength of an aluminum spool.
Additionally, it has a CNC machined aluminum handle, a hardened metal main shaft, perfect drive gear, and precision machined pinion gear for fish-fighting power.
This compact reel is also endued with a computerized balancing system, combined with a high tensile strength graphite frame which resists corrosion.
One Bass Fishing Reel
This gorgeous spinning reel, consists of a magnesium frame which is super lightweight and strong, a carbon fiber rotor design which also affords a lightweight feel as well as a carbon composite rotor and side plate.
Its machined aluminum spool and carbon fiber drag system allow it to be rigid, smooth, and powerful.
One Bass Fishing reels are built with a new performance-tuned, anti-corrosive bearing system that ensures smooth, long-lasting performance.
These fishing reels are built with a smoother, refined oscillation system for perfect line lay and increased casting distance.
Abu Garcia Revo SX Spinning Reel
The Revo SX Spinning Reel’s body is uniquely made of carbon, one-piece aluminum gearbox, in addition to an aluminum braid ready spool.
Not only is it almost weightless, but it also has one of the best line management systems consisting of a Rocket Spool Lip and an Everlast Bail.
Thus, the line lays flat regardless of which lure or technique you use. This also eliminates annoying backlashes and allows for maximum casting distance.
To sum up, these four models are the best spinning reels for bass fishing. Each model showcases multiple advantages and competitive points.
However, if you’re a beginner at the sport, I would suggest going for a reel that is under $50.
One Bass Fishing Reels, as the comparison revealed, have the highest drag power, as well as a high number of ball bearings.
Plus, it contains one instant anti-reverse bearing which prevents undesirable backlashes (which is an annoying problem you’d want to avoid). It’s lightweight, but strong and, more importantly, fairly affordable.
Sougayilang Spinning Fishing Reel is another great choice for under $50. It has the highest number of ball bearings, the second best drag power, and its spool is also made of aluminum.
It has a built-in computerized balancing system, as well as 13 ball bearings and one instant stop one-way anti-reverse bearing which prevents backlashes.
If you’re looking for the most lightweight spinning reel, the highest line capacity and the most advanced mechanism in construction, look no further than the Shimano Stradic Ci4 Spinning Reel.
It’s reliable and attractive and it will give you the confidence you need to start bass fishing.
If weight isn’t one of your concerns, you may consider any of the other three models.
The Abu Garcia Revo SX Spinning Reel, for example, has the best gear ratio, the second lowest weight, as well as a good line capacity. With its price being under $100, you’re definitely getting a good value for your money.